Monday, June 9, 2008

Granny

Yesterday was my Granny's birthday. She would have been 96. She passed away in 2000 when I was expecting McKenna.

I lived next door to my Granny. I never appreciated her like I should have when I was young. She was full of life and sass. She spoke her mind and didn't care whose feathers she would ruffle. My granny had a hard life but she loved life to it's fullest. She had to make her own way and become independent at a very early age. She was one of the toughest women I have ever known. She hated shoes and only wore them if she had to leave the house. She even tilled her garden in her bare feet. She loved chocolate covered cherries and flowers. And she loved me. Oh, how my Granny loved me. And I miss her.

Granny was pretty private about her faith, but she would on occasion ask me to sing old hymns to her. Her favorite was "Mansion Over the Hilltop." I have to trust that I'll see her again, because she told me that she knew Jesus.

If you've ever been in my home, you've probably seen this picture of her. It was taken in 1934 when she was 21. I love it because it not only shows how beautiful she was, it reminds me of her zest for life. She was always young at heart. Even though time brought gray hair, wrinkles, and age spots, her heart was forever young. And that's how I remember her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That doesn't look like a Granny's face, does it? She was beautiful! Sounds like a great woman. Someday our 21-year-old faces will be called "Granny", too, and hopefully our grandchildren will remember our zest for this life as well as Heaven. Only I think I'll prefer another earthly grandparent name...

leigh ann said...

She is gorgeous. Doesn't that make you just want to go back in time and spend a day with her? She looks like she could tell some stories...

Kaylan said...

Oh my gosh...Kristen...your grandmother is GORGEOUS! What a fun era to live in...