Monday, November 24, 2008

I'm usually not an advocate for promoting television shows, but today I am making an exception. For all of you girls out there who love Anne of Green Gables, keep reading.....

Unlike most girls, I was introduced to Anne of Green Gables as an adult by my dear friend Melissa. I immediately fell in love with the red haired precocious girl and was constantly frustrated by her pride that allowed her to treat the adoring Gilbert Blythe so badly. I couldn't wait for McKenna to enjoy them as well. At the end, we're always left wanting more.... And apparently so were millions of other people because unbeknown to me, back in the 90's, Kevin Sullivan, who produced Anne of Green Gables, started a television series that appeared on the Disney Channel for seven seasons called Road to Avonlea.

The series is about the town Avonlea and the struggles, triumphs, and defeats of the King family. No matter what, the family sticks together and is loyal to one another. The mom and dad are in love and respect each other, and even though I wouldn't call it a Christian show, these good Presbyterian folks talk about the "Hand of Providence" quite a lot. There were many life lessons portrayed in this series that McKenna and I would discuss.

We watched the very last episode yesterday and were sad that "all good things must come to an end." We're already trying to plan how we can visit Prince Edward Island one day.

So if you loved Anne, have an appreciation for the early 1900's, or are looking for squeaky clean family television, I can almost guarantee that you will love Sara Stanley and the King family. Who knows... you may want to visit Prince Edward Island one day yourself. :)

No comments: