Last week McKenna was proud to cook her first meal completely on her own. Tilapia and macaroni and cheese. Not extravagant but pretty impressive for a seven year old I thought. It made her feel so grown up and she surprised herself that she could really do it. All I did was stand there for support. The only help she needed was draining the noodles. That steam can get ya! It was a bitter sweet experience for me. I'm excited as I look forward to the day where we will stand side by side and cook holiday meals together, but also it saddens me because she needs me less and less each passing day. What a reminder that we are raising men and women... not children. As I often say to myself, and to you.... Hold on loosely.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Home Ec - homeschool style
Last week McKenna was proud to cook her first meal completely on her own. Tilapia and macaroni and cheese. Not extravagant but pretty impressive for a seven year old I thought. It made her feel so grown up and she surprised herself that she could really do it. All I did was stand there for support. The only help she needed was draining the noodles. That steam can get ya! It was a bitter sweet experience for me. I'm excited as I look forward to the day where we will stand side by side and cook holiday meals together, but also it saddens me because she needs me less and less each passing day. What a reminder that we are raising men and women... not children. As I often say to myself, and to you.... Hold on loosely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Way to go! We have Kit's recipe book if you ever want to borrow it. Plus a great Paula Deen cookbook for kids.
Post a Comment