Caleb has recently decided that he wants to be funny. He's trying to learn the delicate balance between making someone laugh and having them laugh AT you, which he hates. He's always doing things and asking me, "Am I funny?" Bless his heart, I'm gonna have to break it to him one day that he may look just like his daddy, but his lack of wit he inherited from me.
Yesterday, he took a big bite of peanut butter sandwich which kind of made the peanut butter ooz on his checks so it was all over his face. "Am I funny?" he asked with a grin. I told him that honestly it wasn't funny. It was just bad manners and that gentlemen don't spread their food all over their face. McKenna piped up and responded, "Well, gentlemen may not spread food on their faces, but little boys sure do."
Most of you probably already know that I have been trying for some time now to break Caden of sucking his thumb. I've tried everything. Recently, I've been using the idea of reasoning with him. This tactic usually doesn't work with him. He's a man of action and not words. But a couple days ago, I think I actually had my first break through. After we established the fact, again, that babies suck their thumbs and he is not a baby, I asked him why he still sucks his thumb. He thought for a minute and answered with passion, "Because it feels soooooo good in my mouth." Bless his heart. Anyway, I've enlisted help in the process of breaking Caden of his addiction. Everyone reminds him to take his thumb out of his mouth when he forgets (which is all the time.)
Last night we had dinner with our friends, the Strothers. At one point in the evening, I went to investigate some crying coming from upstairs where the children were supposed to be watching a movie. I asked what was going on.
"Lexi keeps flicking Caden on the cheek every time he tries to suck his thumb."
I had to keep myself from laughing. "Well, I said I was sorry." Lexi said matter of fact in a tone that said, "What's the big deal? I'm just trying to help!" I told her while I appreciated her helpfulness, it probably wasn't a good idea to flick him anymore. I couldn't hold it together any longer and as I came back down stairs I announced, "They are so getting married."
1 comment:
Would it be helpful for me to say that he will eventually quit and move on to some other annoying habit, like biting his fingers, as both my older children do?
I personally think peanut butter face is highly entertaining. Come on, Mama! :)
Post a Comment