Two weeks ago McKenna had the opportunity to participate in her 6th production with Bravo Creative Arts center, an amazing and wonderful program that offers children the opportunity to explore theater in a safe, loving, nurturing, family friendly environment. It has been a great gift that God brought into our family's life.When I shared with some folks that McKenna was performing in Grease!, no one said anything but I have to admit I got a few "Really?"s and raised eyebrows even after I explained that the production was G rated with the lyrics and content changed, offering appropriate family entertainment.
We took it as the perfect opportunity to explain the concept of "worldview" to McKenna. Even though we've taught her since she was little bitty that everything she does, her gifts and talents, dreams and desires all belong to God, I'd yet to tell her that every story, movie, book ect has a world view and a message attached to it. That view either reflects Christ or it does not.
When I asked her what she thought the message of Grease was, she thought and said,"It's a story about what it was like to be a teenager in the 50's." Not a bad start, I thought. Then I asked her about how the leading female character changed over the course of the show. She thought for a minute and answered correctly that Sandy changed who she was to make everyone like her better. Concern came across her face as she made a realization. "That's not how we're supposed to live is it?" she asked. After explaining to her that while it was a fun story to be a part of, we have to acknowledge the message attached to what we watch, read, hear, or see to "guard our hearts" as Proverbs teaches to keep our hearts wise to influences so we don't adopt a worldview that's counter to what Christ teaches. What an important reminder for me, as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment