Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Farewell, Dr. Falwell


As you may or may not know, I was one of "Jerry's kids" from 92-96. Yes, I attended and graduated from "the most evangelical Christian school in the country." (That was one of their marketing lines when I was a tender freshman)
When I went to Liberty, I didn't know who Jerry Falwell was or all the controversy surrounding him. Like most kids, I didn't pay much attention to politics until I was IN college. But I learned quickly who this robust man was.
He was larger than life. A man of ideals. And he always made time for the students. He was approachable and kind. He loved his family fiercely. I would often see him on campus with his grandson who was about 4 yrs old at the time. I only talked with him personally a handful of times, but he was genuine and treated everyone with respect. I'm not saying I agree with everything he said and did. There's been many times I have cringed and been embarassed at something he said or when he would stick his foot in his mouth. But the bottom line is he was passionate about his love for God and His church. He was not ashamed or afraid to bridge the gap between religion and politics. He may not have always represented Christians in the best light, but then again, maybe we have been to critical and have accepted too much of what the media has feed us in developing our opinions of him. At any rate, he leaves behind a huge legacy. He was loved and will be missed by many. Never apathetic, he fought the fight till the end. And I'm pretty sure he got to hear those coveted words today; "Well done, good and faithful servant"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also was able to meet him briefly when we applied for adoption at Family Life Services in Lynchburg. Yes, at least he stood for something instead of giving in to what polls or popular opinion wanted him to say.

leigh ann said...

He was totally right about that purple Telletubby, no matter how much flack he got for it. Wonder what he thought about the blue doodlebop.