Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Faith That Lives In Every Room

Our senior pastor is getting ready to do a sermon series called "A faith that lives in every room" The emphasis is on having a spiritual life that's lived out in all aspects of family life using rooms of a house as examples. On June 3rd the topic will be "The Bedroom". We've already been told that it will be a PG-13 sermon and that children will need to attend an alternative service so that our pastor can talk openly about... is it possible???.... sex! Ok, let me say that those of you who know me AT ALL know that I am sooo siked about this. This will be the first time in my life that anyone will have had the courage to talk about sexual intimacy from a pulpit. How sad is that? We have let the media dictate our view of sexuality for decades. The church has been, for the most part, silent and poorly communicates what healthy initmacy looks like in a marriage. How can you be told for 20+ years that sex is bad outside of marriage (which it is) but the emphasis is placed on BAD and then one day you wear a pretty white dress, say two words, and presto-chango, what was bad is now good. Well, no one ever trained us how tell our brains to flip the bad\good switch. And so begins a struggle that some couples take years to overcome. I could go on and on but I will spare you...for now. Anyway, even though I'm excited, I'm trying to keep my expectations low because I don't know how honest and frank he'll allow himself to be. I have faith that he will really talk about some hard truths and it won't be generic. I will be the first to admit this is a very hard thing to talk about especially in mixed company. You run the risk of offending people. But this is soo over due and desperately needed in our culture. And I mean the church culture.

No comments: