Saturday, July 14, 2007

Our first decade

Thursday was the 10 year anniversary of the day I became Mrs. Mark Varner (that still makes me giggle). Of course, this year our anniversary fell on VBS week so we knew that any grandiose ideas of celebration would have to be postponed. The only thing I really wanted was to make sure we had our picture taken to commemorate our milestone. I kept forgetting to ask someone to take our picture and at the end of the evening we still had no picture. We were exhausted but I was determined so I decided to take our picture myself and I had to share our humorous results.
Anyway, Mark surprised me by taking me to Ruth's Chris steakhouse (I had never been) and we spent the evening reflecting on our first decade together. We talked about everything serious and silly, even down to how we would do our wedding differently. That was really fun. We realized we would do virtually everything different including who we would have standing up with us. There's only one person in our original wedding party that we would keep in it, but I guess everybody would probably say the same after 10 years. But there were two reoccurring themes I kept seeing in our conversation. How much our marriage has changed us both (all for the better) and how rich we are with the relationships that God has blessed us with. Now, I know that saying you change when you get married is kind of a "Well, duh" statement, but I never took the time before to think about how different I really am. It's hard to put into words but all I know is that I am finally in a place in life where I am "comfortable in my own skin"And I never dreamed I would have a group of people that we actually "do life" with. I can say without hesitation that if a catastrophe hit us, if our marriage were ever in trouble, if we were about to face insurmountable circumstances, there would be a group of people banging on my door, rolling up their sleeves, doing whatever it took, whether it would be holding us while we cried or kicking us in the booty, to see us through. To me, that's worth more than all the wealth in Williamson county. But all that aside. I am I woman in love.In love with a man who always strives to be more than who he already is, a man who refuses to succumb to the battle of work vs. family no matter how hard that balancing act becomes, a man who has grown in wisdom and tact and bides his time and waits for God's, a man who is strong by being quiet, and a man who is hopelessly in love with me. Is my man perfect? Of course not, but if he were he'd have no business being with me. Mark, I am proud of you. And I'm honored to be your wife. Happy Anniversary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 10 years! Very cute pictures!

leigh ann said...

I laughed. I cried. It moved me, Bob. Happy anniversary, friends!

Probably best that you didn't say who that one person is that you would have kept in your wedding. That way everyone can blissfully believe it was them. ;)