Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Friends Become Our Chosen Family


We spent this July 4th in Freeport Illinois visiting my friend Tanya's family. They go
home at this time every year, and Tanya's Pastor Dad, Don (aka "Big Diddy") invited us to come along and stay at their house. Those of you who go to our church may have heard Tanya's testimony a few weeks ago. As a result of her own father being absent in her life, Pastor Don and his wife Cheri "adopted" her into their family and spiritually mentored her from a young age.


I cannot begin to explain what a blessing it was to be in their home. They are some of the most generous and loving people I've ever met. And they made us part of their family.



Cheri has a picture that hangs in their downstairs bathroom that reads, " Friends Become Our Chosen Family" I couldn't agree with that more. Some of the richest, most meaningful relationship I have experienced on this earth have been with people whom I share no blood relation. But Christ really makes us brothers and sisters in Him, doesn't He? What a precious gift.


We also got to spend some sweet time with Tanya's mom, Grandma C, and her buddy Jim at Krape Park. I was amazed at how this relatively small town has such a tremendous parks and recreation system. The kids got to feed the ducks

ride the carousel, climb the rock wall, and go on the paddle boats. We didn't have time to get to mini-golfing!

The park was built when Grandma C was 7 years old. Tanya grew up coming to the park. In fact she pointed to the spot where her 1st birthday party had been. And now a third generation is creating memories and enjoying this park with their family. Stuff like that is surreal to me. I can't imagine what it would be like to watch my grandchild playing in the very same place, creating memories and having a similar experience as I did as a child.


I love stories. And everyone has a story. I especially love the stories of those who I get to do life with. And being able to see the place (I'm such a visual person) where that story began and meeting the characters of that story is an enriching experience.




I think Twila said it best when she sang, "How Beautiful, how beautiful, how beautiful is the body of Christ."

No comments: