Monday, July 14, 2008

When McKenna was about 2 yrs old I decided to start keeping a journal for her. In it I've attempted to document my thoughts and experiences on her childhood giving her a birds eye view of what it is like being a mom. Specifically her mom.

Well, I've not been very consistent and today when I couldn't find her journal I started to panic. I eventually found it and realized how woefully behind I've been at writing. It had been over a year. No wonder I couldn't find the journal! But I made a commitment (and wrote it in her journal) to be better.

And I'm writing it here for further accountability and also to say that if you haven't started keeping a journal for your own kiddo(s), start one. Even if they are 10 years old or 15 for that matter, you can start one today. One day that kid will be 30 and they will appreciate the time you spent writing down your thoughts.

Can you imagine having something so precious to look back on when your parents are gone? Or the insight it would give you into your own kids lives? Because I know when McKenna comes to me when she's a mom and asks," Mom, did I ever ....?" I may not be able to remember everything as clearly as I hope. How neat would it be to have your grandmothers thoughts of your mom passed down to you?

I'm already looking forward to the time we can walk through the pages of her journal together and remember her childhood journey from both of our perspectives.

So every once in a while when you see me, ask me how I'm doing at turning those blank pages into generational history.

1 comment:

leigh ann said...

Great idea, although it overwhelms me to think about keeping it up!